Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Girls Perspective to Online Dating

I was reading through some dating blogs and I came across "The Cynic's Guide to Online Dating" by Zack Taylor and I would like to touch on some of his points and see how they are relevant to girls and how we girls can avoid making common online dating mistakes.

Pay attention to the username. Zack makes a good point here with screen names.  Ladies, if you want to take this seriously you need to make a serious username that doesn't have to do with being happy, pretty, or with any attribute.  It is better to try and leave this decision up to the person you are talking to on the other end.  If you have a happy personality the person you are communicating will probably pick up on this.

Only headshots means she's fat. Now I disagree with this statement.  All squares may be rectangles but this doesn't mean that all rectangles are squares.  I think there are plenty of girls who are not comfortable putting a whole body shot online for people to see on the internet.  I think Zack had some bad experiences but I don't think this is a very fair statement.

Multiple photos with the same angle count as one. Now this statement is pretty fair.  This is a very common mistake that people make with online dating.  The picture is the most important thing in your profile and gives viewers their first reaction so why do we spend so little time making a good one? Here I read an article created by OkCupid about profile pictures and how effective they are.  Make sure to read through this, it will improve you luck and your game immensely.

Beware profiles with rants. This is another common mistake that people, especially women, make within the online dating world.  If you have some problems with a previous relationship you need to leave this behind before you can move on; in person or online.  Guys generally find this sort of behavior as a turnoff so essentially you are doing yourself a disfavor if you just post a bunch of rants based on your previous experiences.  Try and stay positive and look to the future instead of dwelling on the past.

Girls who say they don't want drama are usually the cause of it.  I don't think this is fair and this is something that I commonly tell people when I am beginning to talk with them.  I don't generally consider myself much of a drama queen and this has really helped me filter out people who are serious from the people who are just looking for a quick go with me.

Recently single = thinking about my ex.  This is a fair statement, just like most recently single guys are probably thinking about their ex.  I don't want to repeat myself too much but I think it is important to reiterate that people should not be dating online or offline until they are ready to move on.  If you are ready to get up and carry the baton to the next runner then you must give up (romantically) on the ex boyfriend or girlfriend to do that.

Obscured faces mean high opinions. I honestly don't have a lot of experience with people who obscure their faces and I have rarely come across people that do but, the people who I do come across almost always tell me the same story.  People obscure their faces to try and keep a little of their anonymity from the hordes of people who may see them online.  I am sure they don't want their boss, family, or co-workers to see them posing in something maybe borderline inappropriate.  I am not sure about this one but I would take this statement about "obscured face = hot girl" with a grain of salt.

If there's more than one girl in the photo, she's not the cute one.  Girls, please take photos of just yourself.  The point of online dating is too meet people who want to talk with you and who like you for who you are and what you look like.  Leading somebody on with a false photo or trying to play the bait and switch game will usually just end up in disappointment for both you and him.

No comments: